Wednesday 28 March 2012

Liberty Peacocks, Linen and Silk

Two more books, from a set I'm currently working on, in between Custom order work; both are now in my shops, for sale!

This guest book has covers made with 100% linen, which I hand-lined with fine paper, to make bookcloth.  I also used a coral coloured silk bookcloth to embellish the bound edge of each cover.  It's stitched with matching coral linen thread. 
Inside there are 32 nice pages of natural-white cartridge paper, so it's suitable for writing, but could also be a sketchbook. 

I love Liberty Tana Lawn fabric.   It's a very fine cotton fabric, printed with amazing Liberty designs, some of which go back to C19th.  The colours are always so zingy and bright, they don't fade, so they would last for a very long time.  The lawn fabric has a cool, smooth and soft feel to it.  Although it is fine and light in weight, it's also closely woven, so it's ideal for making bookcloth, so long as you're careful with it. 

I have made several books covered with Liberty prints; this is the latest, covered with a print called "Isis", in the blue colourway.  I found it in an Etsy shop, owned by Jo Greene, called "Organic Stitch Co".  She has a huge range of Liberty fabrics on offer, in sizes from Fat Eighth and also sells packs for quilters, which is great for people who want a selection.  I'm definitely a fan! 
  
I paired the Liberty print with a gorgeous periwinkle blue silk fabric.  It has a slubby texture, but is soft and shimmery, so it sets off the fine lawn very well.  I made a fringed edging and bound it with a deep blue linen thread, to match the colours in the print. 
I also made a matching tassel, with threads from the blue silk and a deeper blue silk embroidery floss.
There's a label for the front cover, mounted on matching silk.

I'm pretty pleased with these - they turned out very nicely. I have three more books waiting on the binding table, an ivory linen and silk, large book, plus two smaller ones in Liberty Prints, all with lovely Springtime colours.   

I'm now busy with the next batch of commission orders, so I'm not sure when the other "for stock" books will be finished, but I'll post them whenever they are!  

11 comments:

  1. These are so lovely! You are truly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work! Love that little tassel. :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, me too - I had a lovely time yesterday evening, peeling silk pieces for threads and making gorgeous golden tassels...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love the fabric you use, and your talent for mixing & matching colours

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that second one...beautiful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful volume ... I have a dress made from Liberty print, and know just what you mean about the clean cool softness of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors on the Guest Book, such richness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so beautiful. You have a real talent. Thank you for re posting my speak out idea. You are a superstar

    ReplyDelete
  9. they're both really lovely. i am thinking i MUST have a handmade book with that nice linen for a cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks for that lovely comment - I'd be happy to discuss a special book, just for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...